|One of the best meals some friends and I had in|
Portugal, was at this small restaurant
at the recommendation of a local.
- Stay in a business hotel (CBD) over the weekend. When the businessmen leave, so do the high prices.
- Visit places outside of peak season: Ski resorts in the summer, Beach resorts in the spring/fall, etc. Shoulder season can save you a lot, while still offering nice weather.
- Hostels aren't just for college kids. Some even offer senior discounts and private rooms/bathrooms. (Check out HostelWorld for rates and reviews!)
- Eat away from the tourist area of town. Ask a locals working at your hotel or coffee cafe what they recommend! Bound to get local flavor that way.
- Shop for souvenirs and snacks at a grocery store. You'll find local delicacies at a great price!
- Don't overtip! Believe me, I think a good tip for a job well done is nice, but see my separate post about appropriate tipping depending on the country.
|Amazing price and amazing view from our hostel in Lisbon!|